How Do You Get Rid of Rodents?
When rats and mice get into your home they quickly set up camp—breeding, scavenging, nesting, and destroying your home’s infrastructure one piece at a time. But how do you get rid of rats, mice, squirrels, and other vermin quickly before they can cause that damage? Here are a few options:
- Whether you decide to take care of your rodent infestation on your own or use an exterminator, poison is one of the fastest and most effective strategies.
- Most rat poisons on the market today look like small pellets and usually include anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, bromethalin, or phosphides (the four major varieties) to kill the rodents, each in a different way. Keep your rat poison container, however, in case of accidental pet or child poisoning (which can be common). Having the specific active ingredient handy can help poison control personnel understand and react to the situation faster.
- If you do use poison make sure it is somewhere where no other humans or pets will be able to get to the poison, but where the rats will come across it. Also, be ready to go searching for the rats once they die, as their bodies will leave a terrible stench if not cleaned up quickly.
- Trapping rodents avoids harmful chemicals but tends to also be a slower process, as it takes time to trap a large colony completely and rats and mice can learn to avoid the traps as you use them.
- There are a variety of different traps that both kill and capture the rats as you prefer. These include snap traps (lethal), glue boards (often lethal), live traps (humane), and pre-loaded poison traps (lethal). The advantage, of course, is that the rodent is kept in the trap and can’t escape to die elsewhere around the house. Unfortunately, some traps have better success rates than others.
Sonic Pest Repellents
- These pest control products emit an ultrasonic frequency to drive pest species away from your home. There are no traps, no poison, and no mess but, unfortunately, they have limited range, mixed reviews, and may not work in every circumstance. They also consume electricity and will add to your power bill. However, if you are wondering how to get rid of rats and mice without traps or poison, this may be an option to explore.
Regardless of how you choose to address your rodent infestation, the team at Best Attic Cleaning is ready to help. We’ll hygienically clean away the damage from the infestation while carefully searching for and sealing tunnel and other entrances into your house to prevent infestations in the future. Rats and mice can be extremely destructive houseguests, so don’t wait. Call the Best Attic Cleaning team at (510) 214-5467 or email email@example.com right away.